Trip difficulty: 3/5, moderate
Tour Highlights: Small Group Experience, Glacier Hike, Falljökull Glacier, Vatnajökull Glacier
Our Glacier Explorer tour takes you to Falljökull, one of the outlets glaciers of the Vatnajökull ice cap.
You will hike through a path surrounded by the ever changing landscape carved out by the glacier. Once you arrive at the tongue of the glacier your guide will assist you to gear up on crampons and you will be exploring the amazing terrain in no time!
Don´t forget your camera! You will encounter plenty of photo opportunities along the way, while gaining a deep understanding of this magnificent glacier, how it formed, moves and continues to change every day.
Meeting point: Departure from our Skaftafell booking center (gray house with the turf roof). Skaftafell is located 327km (203 miles) from Reykjavík. The nearest towns to Skaftafell are Kirkjubæjarklaustur, 69km to the west and Höfn, 130km to the east.
Note for those who booked tours in August or September: There is a short 15-min drive from the meeting point (Skaftafell booking center) to the parking lot from where your tour begins. Due to COVID-19 regulations, kindly ask that you use your own vehicles for this drive. Our car will be waiting for you at Skaftafell and will escort you for the rest of the way. If you have no possibility to use your own vehicle or have any questions, please contact our Customer Care.
Disclaimer: All day trips are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. Arctic Adventures does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to there own actions. Participants have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherent risk.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 14 years|
What is included
Guided Glacier Hike
Certified Glacier Guide
Specialized Glacier Gear
All Necessary Safety Equipment
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
-Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)